Thursday, March 03, 2011

Know your bills

Last Sunday we were to Sathyam Cinemas, Chennai for PAYANAM movie. During the interval of the movie, we bought some snacks from the snack bar inside the Sathyam Cinemas.

There it is odd to see people not asking for the bill for the snacks they purchased. The people order for the snacks, the staff over there says some amount for the snacks ordered and the people didn't mind to lash out the currency from their wallet.

When my turn came, I asked for the bill. The staff over there replied that the machine that provides bills is out of order. I couldn't leave that point for this reason and asked for the handwritten bill. By the time, the people standing behind me in the queue were not comfortable with what I am doing. I understand them but I didn't want to give away my rights. Yes, I am the boss of the money I spend. I should know the reason and I have the rights for the same.

If everyone asks for the bill, will the machine be out of order for a long time? But people never mind about that.

The other scenario on the same day. That evening we went to the food court at Ascendas IT park, Taramani, Chennai. By the time when I parked the car in the parking lot, a man with a bag approached me for the parking charge. He asked me Rs. 10 as parking charge. And now again I asked for the bill. He said it will take time as he has to get the token from a machine that is located few steps away. I said him that I shall pay when I return back from the food court and I asked him to collect the token by then.

When I returned he gave me a bill for Rs 10. I could clearly see a banner in the parking area explaining that the parking charge is Rs 5 per hour. I returned well within an hour. But the bill said that I was charged for 2 hours. I asked for the reason. And now he started bluffing. I said him that it's not a matter of Rs 5 or Rs 1000. It's the matter of knowing the reason I spend my money.

I could see other people parking the car paying the amount this guy asked for. My brother who was with me by the time said to me that people may fear, for this guy could damage the car if the asked amount is not given. And my brother was right. When I was walking back to my car, this guy whispers to the other guy (who assist him in collecting the parking charge) that what if we put a scratch on the car (for which I have to spend more money than Rs. 10).

But my concern how long we will pay for our fear. We easily educate people like these guys that they can cash-in the fear of other fellow people. We start from here - bribe for our well-being. Here Rs 10 won't matter for most. But we will start crying blaming the government for not policing such things when it grows big. Who should be blamed? (Or) Who is the culprit?

Bottom-line: Purchasing goods without bills is equivalent to having black money.

No comments:

Post a Comment